LINK TO HERALD SUN
BLUE- SUMMARY PINK- FACTS
PURPLE- QUESTIONS BLACK- SUMMARY
This BTN/ Herald sun was about the mysterious crack appearing in Africa. The crack is located in the middle of the valley in Kenya. Scientists believe the crack indicates a separation of Africa. Many tourists have begun taking photos in front of the crack.
-Geologists believe the huge fault line is evidence the African continent will break apart over the next tens of millions of years.
-It became exposed for the first time after heavy rainfall in Kenya in the past month which also caused hospital walls to collapse, flooded entire neighborhoods, and closed off major highways.
-The crack is more than 15m deep and 15m wide.
-Will the crack cause any natural disasters like a volcanic eruption, earthquakes, tsunami’s etc; when it grows bigger.
-How did the crack appear and who discovered it?
-I now understand all about the strange crack in Africa, certain people’s beliefs behind it and some of the damage it has caused.
Prompt: but I didn’t understand the instructions
It was here. The big brown parcel sat in front of me with my name in careful calligraphy. I stared at it for ages until finally, I decided to open it. I tore the wrapping apart and then I saw it, the biggest lego box in the world from my friend. She face- timed me the week after the parcel arrived and I showed her what I had done.
“What did you do,” she asked.
“Made the lego,” I responded.
“But you did it wrong,”
“I didn’t understand the instructions,” said. And that was it, she hung up on me.
Blue- Summary Pink- Facts
Purple- Questions Black- Understanding
In Hawaii on May 8th 2018, Kilauea volcano has caused Hawaiians running for their lives as the rock spews out lava. On the day it destroyed 26 homes. The cause of the eruption was a 6.9 magnitude earthquake on the south side of the volcano.
- Scientists are predicting more earthquakes and eruptions for the next month.
- Kilauea is the most active volcano out of the five on the island
- It has been erupting constantly for 35 years but this is one of the worst eruptions so far
- What is the biggest Kilauea explosion in the active 35 years?
- When is the last time Kilauea erupted apart from recently?
- I now understand that volcanoes can be a quite dangerous and can be life threatening.
Prompt: Can you invent a magical animal that could live in a magical place and tell us all about them?
“Her long legs paraded around town like a policeman taking care of the jail cells. Everyone always gazed at her beautiful, majestic body and long, shining horn. She was the leader of the unicorns up in the clouds. All obeyed her, all adored her and all loved her.” The funeral director sobbed as he said this, as well as everyone else. A black and white photo was placed on the horse shaped coffin with the extra edition of a horn hole cut into it. The land was gloomy and dark without her. “She will be sadly missed,” said the funeral director. A glow came from the coffin and the lid opened. Could it be possible?…
Blue- Summary Purple- Facts
Pink- Questions Black- Understanding
LINK TO BTN/ HERALD SUN
This week we did a herald sun kids instead of a BTN. It was about Australian cyclones/storms and bushfires. It focused on 2 particular events. The first one was tropical cyclone Marcus in Darwin. It destroyed homes, ripped trees out of the ground and destroyed power lines. The bushfire was in Bega showgrounds and burnt down a primary school.
- Some of the biggest bushfires in NSW and Victoria have been believed to be caused by lightning strikes.
- The cyclone happened in March 2018
- Cyclone Yasi is the biggest cyclone that has come to Australia
- What is the difference between a cyclone and a tornado?
- What is the country that is most likely to have bushfires?
- I now understand what a cyclone and bushfire is and some of the most serious ones that have occurred in Australia
Prompt: ‘When did you arrive,’ I asked.
‘I came as soon as I could,’ I puffed.
‘Great,’ said my tutor. ‘Are you ready.’ She opened a glass cabinet and pulled out a thin, grey shoe box. She carefully lifted off the lid. Inside was the fluffiest, smallest, cutest creature in the world. I gazed at it in awe. It was incredible, unusual, it was crazy.
“Are we supposed to even have this,” I questioned.
“ No,” she replied. She handed me box and opened her front door, a suitcase in hand.
“That’s why I’m leaving.” She left me. She set me up. She couldn’t be trusted.
“When did you arrive,” I asked the creature. No reply. I didn’t know what to do. I hear sirens in the distance. Uh-oh!
LINK TO BTN
This BTN was about The Ring of Fire. The Ring of Fire is an arch of countries where big earthquakes happen. In 2009 September 29-30 2 of the worlds biggest earthquakes happened in two very different, far apart countries. Scientists were trying the work out whether it was a coincidence or it was connected in some way.
- The two countries were Samoa and Sumatra and are 10 000km away from eachother
- Some other countries in the Ring of Fire are Japan, USA, Mexico and Chile.
- The biggest earthquake was the 1960 Valdivia earthquake(Spanish: Terremoto de Valdivia) or Great Chilean earthquake (Gran terremoto de Chile) of 22 May is the most powerful earthquake ever recorded.
- Why are some earthquakes much worse than others?
- How do scientists discover the reasoning behind earthquakes?
- I now understand how bad earthquakes can actually be, some of the worst ones that have happened and why they are terrible.
Prompt: SHOUTED CRIMSON MISTY FRANTICALLY GRAVE
She shouted frantically from the room next door. Alison ran into her mother’s room, discovering her sister drowning in her own tears. Beneath her was an unconscious mum. Alison ran down the block, through the misty paddock, to the hospital. She ran towards the lady in a crimson pantsuit. Alison gave the nurse all the information and together they ran back to Alison’s house. By the time they got there Alison’s sister was looking depressed and sad. Alison didn’t even have to hear it. She knew what had happened.
5 months later
Alison stared at her mum’s grave, dark bags under her eyes, dressed in rags.
Recently in Australia we celebrated ANZAC day. ANZAC day is when we celebrate and commemorate the soldiers who fought in war against Gallipoli and sacrificed their lives for our country. This BTN was about an aboriginal boy named ANZAC. He is the 5th ANZAC in his family, named after his great, great grandfather. His great, great grandfather is the son of the hero in their family. Arthur ANZAC’s great x3 grandfather. Back when Arthur was alive aboriginal’s weren’t allowed to be apart of the army but Arthur was determined. He fought against Gallipoli and was one of the few that survived. His next war was against France. He sadly died and the family wasn’t notified until much later. 2 months ago ANZAC and his father were given Arthur’s medals that had been lost for decades.
- Arthur was enlisted in the army in 1916
- The date of the Gallipoli landing, the 25th of April, became known as Anzac
- In aboriginal culture, you must be buried once you died where you were born.
- Why is it called ANZAC day?
- Why is it only in Australia that we celebrate ANZAC day?
- I now understand why ANZAC day is so important to some people, why we celebrate it and they history behind it.
LINK TO BTN
This BTN was all about Stephen Hawking and some of his discoveries, flaws and recent death. Stephan is/was the smartest person in the world. He was known for physics and science. He mostly thought about and discovered space, black holes and how our universe started. When 21, Stephan was diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease. He showed resilience and still continued with his studies and dreams.
- He was known as the most brilliant theoretical physicist since Albert Einstein
- He unfortunately died recently on 14th March 2018 at the age of 76
- He has had roles in T.V. shows including the big bang theory, the simpsons and had a movie about his life made in 2014.
- Why did the doctors doubt that he would live after he was diagnosed?
- Did Stephan ever think when he was young that he be who he is now and how many people he has influenced?
- I now understand how hard life must have been for Stephan, how many people he has influenced and how he will be remembered in this world.